Like my page

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Guest blog by Mary Abshire



Today I have the pleasure of having Mary Abshire 
stop by on her tour for Claiming The Evil Dead.

Hello Everyone! Thanks for reading my blog post.

Topic: Writing in the 1980's when we didn't have computers. Did you have a pen pal?

Okay, I'm telling a bit of my age with this topic. Try not to laugh too hard.

Back in the 1980's, my first taste of writing for enjoyment started with pen pals. I was a Duran Duran fan and went to a festival in Houston. There, I met several people and learned what a pen pal was. Before we left, we exchanged addresses. Once I returned home, I started writing to the people I'd met. (Remember, no computers in homes back then.) They sent me these index cards called friendship books. Within the book were decorated cards from other people. They listed their likes (books, music, etc). Finding a blank page, I decorated it and sent it on to another person. So this friendship book traveled to god knows where around the world. People see it and write to you. That's how it worked in the 1980's.

Within a years time I had probably close to a hundred pen pals, I'm guessing because I'm terrible with statistics. Stamps were cheap, so I could write to a lot of people. It was then I discovered I loved writing. One person I remember very well was from Somerville, New Jersey and her name was Stacey Borden. She was a few years younger than I was and we stayed friends, I mean, pen pals, for a couple years. I remember talking to her on the phone a few times. I think she married and moved to Philadelphia in the 1990's. We lost touch. I still think about her at times and wonder how she is, what she's doing, how her life turned out. She was a good friend.

On another note, in 1989 I wrote to a man in Louisiana. A year later, we were living together. Many years later, we married and started a family. Can you believe it? I married a pen pal? And I've been happy since.

Pen pals or computers, you never know who you will meet and build a friendship with. Yes, there are some spooky people out there, but you just have to be cautious. Don't let the spooky ones stop you from meeting that good friend or spouse.

So my question to those of you who were old enough back in the 1980's, did you have any pen pals and what became of them? 



Thanks so much, Mary!
You made me think way back ...
I didn't have any pen pals, but I do remember
writing very lengthy letters to friends and
family and leaving them in my old mailbox with the
correct change for the driver to pick up and mail for me.

Here's more about Mary's new release Claiming the Evil Dead 


Half-demon Jessie Garrett is searching for an evil vampire that's been preying upon children. She wants to claim the rogue vamp's soul and send it to hell. To find the dead man walking she must partner with another bloodsucker, Drake, even though she doesn't trust him. While Jessie works with Drake, she learns not all vampires are killers and discovers the cold-blooded vamp is a temptation too difficult to resist.
After the fiend abducts another child and Jessie has a near fatal experience with vampires, she turns to Jeremy, a demon she bumped into at a club, and makes a deal with him for his help. Drake disapproves, and Jessie soon finds herself wedged between two volatile creatures. When the chance comes to save the child's life and claim the evil vamp's soul, she must decide whom she can trust—a vampire who cools her feverish desires, or a demon hell-bent on seducing her.

Claiming the Evil Dead can be purchased at 

(click name to go to site)

Learn more about Mary at these sites:


~~~~
The organizer of Mary's tour,
Bewitching Book Tours is offering
a prize for one winner from the comments
on the tour.
(US shipping only)

Click "like" for Betwitching Book Tours today!

2 comments:

  1. Love the 1980's. Times were sure different. The music was much better too!
    Thanks for letting me post on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children remind me daily the 80's are over lol

    I loved your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete